Monday, March 9, 2015

What a great way to Monday! (This has nothing to do with my letter, I just thought it sounded creative so I put it there.)‏


March 9, 2015

Check out that subject tho! ^^

Good morning folks.

It's been a MUCH better week in Durham. I'm finally starting to adjust to everything. It was just super mind-blowing last week being in such a large city when the biggest thing in Clinton was Walmart. Like literally, that was the mall where people would go to hang out on the weekends. But the good news is that I'm adjusting. It'll definitely take me some time to get accustomed to the bus system and everything, but I'll get there.

This week we didn't teach too many people, but we did manage to set up our week fairly well with return appointments. The problem here is that people don't know their schedules and it's very difficult to get inside. My companion and I are really working on having good door contacts so that the Spirit touches the people and they let us in. That's really the key.

Most of the work that we do right now is in these massive apartment complexes full of Hispanics. Like there's a lot of people to talk to here, but the problem is consistency. We're trying to find those that we can meet with consistently. No investigator will progress properly if you don't meet with them on a regular basis. So that's why we're working on getting return appointments with everyone!

I'll tell y'all about one of our investigators. Her name is M and she's about 50 and Pentecostal. If you know anything about the Pentecostals, you would know that they're very faithful in their church. They're all about speaking in tongues, praising the Lord, falling over when they "think" they feel the Spirit. It's all just a load of nonsense to me. But that's besides the point! She's very stern in her beliefs and attempts to Bible bash, but we will have none of that! She started spewing scriptures out at us, so we just kind of agreed with her, found some common ground, testified, and then her heart softened. She was somewhat contentious before, but she's definitely changed. We saw her in the parking lot the other day and she asked us for some help. So we went over and she had us interpret for her to a man about getting tags on her car. She then looked at me and looked at the man and said "El es mi amigo." So we must have hit it off pretty well! We plan to teach her tonight, and she's super excited for us to come back, so I'll keep y'all posted on her progress. 


Also, I finally got to go to church yesterday and meet the members! The branch president is good so far.  He's musical, so maybe I can get a foot in the door. The missionaries in the past have almost completely lost his trust, so we're trying to build it back up. All of the other members seem great. There's a family that cooks opossum for dinner, a watchmaker who doesn't like or wear watches, a woman from Venezuela, and a return missionary family that attends the Spanish branch. So yeah, things are great. I'm excited to work with them.

And seeing as the weather is finally great out here, we've decided to take advantage of it and go to the UNC basketball museum. It's free and I'm gonna take lots of pictures! I'm excited.

Well that was my week. Things are starting to really move forward. We're gonna baptize next month. I have faith in that.

Have a good one,

-Elder Landon Carroll


No comments:

Post a Comment