Monday, May 19, 2014

Buenas Tardes

May 19, 2014

Hola Amigos y Familia!

This week was just grand, and I'll tell you why.

So Monday and Tuesday were uneventful, but the rest of the week was great.

Wednesday we ate at a family's home. The W's. Their house is absolutely massive. Brother W just happens to be a Anesthesiologist. But anyways, it was super funny and kind of awkward. I was on exchanges with Elder Wolf and we were looking to share a message about prayer and missionary work. When it came time to invite them to do missionary work, I said "so maybe when you're at school or with your friends...." And then they were like "we're all home schooled. and the only friends we have are members." So then we just kind of awkwardly closed it. Oh well! How were we supposed to know?

So Thursday was weekly planning day. Something that Elder Wolf talked to me about during exchanges is how I need to take more charge in my companionship because planning takes forever and it doesn't have to. He told me that I shouldn't let the slothfulness of others affect me and the work. And that's exactly what I did. I took charge of weekly planning and we knocked two hours off our usual time of five hours! So there's a valuable lesson there. Be diligent! Take charge!

Friday we went and found a family out in Vass. Hopefully this is the family that we've been praying for. We have an appointment with them on Friday so hopefully it goes well!

Saturday was the best day of the week. And A is the reason. We went over to teach a lesson to him and he let us in his house. The plan was to teach "The Gospel of Jesus Christ" with an emphasis on Baptism. So we taught it well and he was really open with his input and questions, and then the time came for us to invite him to be Baptized. I did the honors with that one. I invited him and he said "Yes, but I want to be sure I know it's true before." We can help him with that! So the date is the 14th of June, which is a Saturday of course. It'll be exciting seeing his progression and knowledge of the Gospel increase! The only problem is he's on Parole right now, so hopefully we can get permission from President to baptize him. I think he'll pass the interview. He's a good guy and he's doing a lot of this for his son, J.

So that was the highlight of the week. Hard work truly does pay off, and the Lord blessed us this week with a Baptismal date.

This week, I got a lot of compliments on my Spanish from native speakers. They were all so amazed that I can speak as well as I can with only being out here for eight weeks. I guess that's what happens when you put in the time and practice and throw in some Gift of Tongues into the equation. :) It's just nice to see my progression right in front of me. It's not easy learning Spanish out here in Pinehurst because everyone's American, but I'm doing my best! I can speak really well, I really just lack vocabulary. So that's the focus right now! And also understanding people is difficult. It'll all come with time though!

So that was my week. I truly do love it out here in Pinehurst. The people are awesome and the work is great. I'm seeing a lot of growth in myself, but I'm also seeing what I need to work on.

Love you all.

Tengan una buena semana!

-Elder Landon Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment