Monday, May 5, 2014

Visiting and Teaching

April 28, 2014

Greetings friends and family!

This week was another good one. I learned a lot about myself and I took another turn into becoming the missionary and man that God wants me to be.

The guy I told yall about last week, A, came to church again! He really just wants this for his boy, so we sat in Primary with them. Kind of fun. We sat right in front of the piano. Made me think of you in your calling Mom! Must be a good time. The only problem with A is that he wants to go to church, but he doesn't want to take the discussions. So it's a little backwards. We'll get there! We just need to gain his trust, and I think we're doing a pretty swell job at that.

We also visited a less active family, the E's. They haven't been to the church in probably a couple of months. We stopped by just to see how they were doing, but Hermano E just seemed to think we were there to chastise them. So he made up a thousand excuses as to why they aren't coming to church. And then they asked if they could go to the Temple if they don't pay their tithing. That's obviously not our place, so we told them to talk to the Bishop. The main problem with the E family is that Hermano E works on Sundays. They're struggling a lot financially so it'll take a lot of faith to get them going again.

With that, I learned some very valuable things.
1. I need a college education
A lot of the families I've met out here have been struggling financially somehow. It's so important to get an education and find a good job that suits you. So as I've thought about that, it really makes me want to continue to further my education. Like who wants to do manual labor their whole life? Not me. All of the Hispanics we talk to work in manual labor, and these guys are working their whole lives and they work so hard.  I respect them for that, even the old men continue to work! I now really have the motivation to work hard so I can get a good job to support a family one day. Not to sound prideful or anything. It's just the truth. I've been blessed with so much in this life and I know I can be anything that I want to be. I just have to have that motivation.
2. Fatherhood is more than I realized
I guess I never fully comprehended the role of a father in the family. The whole family looks to him for protection, income, leadership, the Priesthood, and much more. That's what I saw as I visited the E family. That whole family (wife, kids) relies on him. It's like I just saw him carrying their weight on his shoulders. And that's what I'll be doing one day! One day!

Well that was my week. Sorry for another long one. Or maybe you enjoy them. Not sure. I love the mission field! It's a good time and although it is difficult, it's brought me a lot of purpose and happiness so far. Studying the scriptures has definitely been good for me. I always read at home, but I can't say I ever studied. I'm almost through the Book of Mormon for the second time on my mission. It's a good book haha! I'm learning the scriptures better than ever before, and I see it helping me in my teaching. The Book of Mormon is our sword, and that's exactly how we should use it.

Hope you all have a good week! Just let me know if anything crazy happens. I'm sure life on the outside is just boring and uneventful as usual, minus a couple things of course. You know that those are.

Love you all.

-Elder Landon Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment