Monday, January 19, 2015

Successful Week, Transfers Tomorrow




January 12, 2015

Good morning,

It's a rainy morning here in NC. I love it when it rains cause it makes my studies very relaxing. But it does make the work a little harder. You would think more people would let us in just to be nice and get us out of the rain, but that's not the case. Same goes with cold weather. We went tracting on Thursday when it was 17 degrees and no one would let us in because "it's too cold. Come back another day." And then my companion's lips went completely numb so he couldn't speak! And his smile looked completely ridiculous! We were contacting these ladies and we couldn't stop laughing because of it!

Well I have my new planner with me so I'll see if I can cover all of the important things that happened this week.

We had great success with J, K (M), S, and K.

We had a great lesson with J. If you look back at last week's email. she really wants to get baptized but just wants her kids to be baptized with her. We had a lesson with her on Wednesday with Hermano Navas and Elder Mora (we were on exchanges for the day). We talked a lot about baptism and how it's a commandment and how if she was baptized she could receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost and help lead her kids to baptism. Then Elder Mora told his conversion story of how he wasn't gonna get baptized, but the example of his mom and brother led him to baptism. We asked her how she felt and she said "Well, I'm just thinking. I know my children will be baptized. I really feel that." So then we left her the invitation to pray about the date. She came to church yesterday and we have an appointment with her tomorrow so I'll let you know what she says when we follow up! She's a really great lady with a light in her eyes. Hermano Navas asked her what she would do if her kids didn't want to get baptized. She said "I'll still get baptized. God first." So there it is. She will get baptized, we just don't know when. I have a strong feeling that it will be this month though.

The next one is K. He's the man that believes the children of Israel were black (and who's to say that they weren't? His argument is in Deuteronomy 28:68 and in Revelations 1:13-14. He claims Jesus was a black man because of the "wool-like" hair and brass feet burned. The argument in Deuteronomy is that blacks were brought into slavery by ship and that they as a race fit the attributes described in chapter 28.) But he's a really good guy who is a seeker of of truth. He really likes the idea of the Restoration and we plan to teach him the Plan of Salvation tomorrow. He said he'll absolutely get baptized if he comes to find that these things are true. He should be at church this Sunday.

S is doing great as well. Sometimes as missionaries we just want people to hop in the water, but they really do have to learn and progress just as we do. S has a very real desire to come closer to God and receive His blessings. She's not progressing rapidly by any means, but she has started to read and pray on her own. We've also started teaching her fiance, R. He's not quite as willing to act as she is, but he loves our messages and they both now have Books of Mormon. We had a member come with us, Sister Tart, on Saturday night. We taught them the Plan of Salvation and the Spirit wasn't strong, but they felt it for sure. The most powerful part of that lesson is the Atonement. It's because of Jesus Christ that we can one day return to live with our Heavenly Father.

K is a very nice man. I think I mentioned this last week, but a year ago his fiance died. He kind of just wonders why bad things happen to good people and is really looking for more faith. He has started to read a little more each day and we actually have an appointment with him later today. We've invited him to be baptized, but he said he'll think about it. I think as he sees the blessings of the Gospel come into his life, he'll want to get baptized. It's only a matter of time.

So there you have it with the investigators. All of these people are strong potentials to be baptized. Our goal is 3 baptisms this transfer, but I think we can get 4 or 5. That's my goal. It's only a matter of time before we start splashin'.

I haven't met my new companion yet. But we're suspecting that he'll be the new District Leader, so that will throw a spin into the work. I'll find out who he is tomorrow and then friend him on Facebook so y'all can see who he is.

And that was my week. Hoping to make this next one a good one!

Love you all!

-Elder Landon Carroll
This is a drawing of Landon's plans for the city of Clinton!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment