Monday, August 24, 2015

Since We're On Our Way Down We Might as Well Enjoy the Ride

Landon and his new companion, Elder Flake
August 17, 2015

It was a crazy busy week here in Raeford. Training and being with a new companion has brought a lot of work to be done.  We're here to teach everyone, so that's what we're gonna do. We taught more lessons this week than I ever have in Raeford and it felt great to be always working. Sitting in the apartment and doing less-productive things kills your motivation and the Spirit. So we will be sure to stay as busy as possible.

So about my new greenie.....His name is Elder Flake and he's from Mesa Arizona. He should have been out here a few months ago, but he broke his foot in the MTC and had to go home to have surgery. And then while he was home he had to get his appendix removed. Talk about trials. I'm so glad he's here now. He's in for a two year experience he will never forget. Hopefully I can make his experience the best possible as I teach him how to be a missionary. And hopefully he learns some good things from me. And yes, he is 6' 4".

Update on investigators! We met with A again right before Elder Jaussi got transferred. We had a great lesson about being obedient to the commandments and reaping the blessing that come from them. We were reading through 1 Nephi 17 and A read a verse and replaced "I, Nephi" with "I, A" so that's how we know that he's actually applying these things to himself. He expressed that ever since we've started coming, he has been more motivated to change and be a better person. We came back on Thursday and taught him about the Sabbath day, but he expressed that he does not want to go to church alone. So hopefully we can begin to teach his wife so that they can come to church together. We really should be putting in an effort to be teaching her anyway. We have plans to bring a member couple over this week, so I think that we'll help with they're progression. If we can get them to church, there's no turning back. We helped A tear some carpet out of the new house he bought, and I think he really appreciated it. We will continue to build more trust with him so he can feel more comfortable with us (and give us more delicious Puerto-Rican food).

Sad story! So on Elder Flake's second day we went over to a new neighborhood and knocked on a door that looked Hispanic. Sure enough, they answered and a young girl came out and began to express her love for Jesus and told us how He had blessed her life. So she got us some water and we sat down with her and her little brother and began to teach the Restoration. We taught it super clearly and left a great commitment to read and pray. During the lesson, her uncle showed up and walked by us and asked us what we were talking about. I told him that we were discussing Jesus Christ and the apostles. He asked me "Why did he come?" I said "To save us from sin." He shook his head and walked away. It was clear that there was some tension in the air. So we continued. The girl and her little brother were very excited and agreed to read and pray about everything. So we set a return appointment and then went to go knock the rest of the neighborhood. Well, it was about time for our dinner appointment, so we headed back to the car. As we walked by these people's house, the little brother comes out. "Excuse me!" So I ask him what's up. He says "My uncle said this stuff isn't true. He said the story isn't true." I inquired a little more. "Has he read and prayed about it?" The kid explains "he's a preacher and he studied it and says none of the stories are true. We're not interested in the class anymore." So I take the books and we walk back to the car disappointed. Let me tell you how much I just wanted to barge into that house and thrash that preacher's doctrine! The Pentecostal religion is false false false! The power that they "feel" in their church is not the Holy Spirit. It's Satan. I'm convinced of it. But I didn't do any of that or say any of that. We walked to the car nicely, I said a prayer in my heart, and we headed to our dinner. Isn't it a shame?!?!?! I really wanted to teach those people! If only that preacher knew what he was missing....

But that's my rant for the day. I'm really enjoying the work that's happening here and I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve in North Carolina. It's a great place!

Love y'all!

-Elder Landon Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment